Project: Rushall Park
Location: Fitzroy North
Client: Old Colonists’ Association of Victoria
The Old Colonists’ Association of Victoria’s Rushall Park independent living units expand upon the built legacy of the State’s oldest retirement village provider.
MGS was commissioned to design three new residential buildings in the historically significant Rushall Park Village. Founded in 1870, Rushall Park is a retirement living facility located on acreage adjacent to Rushall Station. The buildings are in a ‘back of house’ location on the north eastern boundary of Rushall Park and will provide thirty five units in both one and two bedroom configurations. With widely varying site interfaces, ranging from a railway line to historically significant cottages, careful site planning was essential.
As the existing built form within the village is of high quality and strong character, the new development on the site sought to provide a complementary and respectful counterpoint to the existing context. Rather than replicating the architectural articulation of the existing building stock, MGS Architects undertook analysis of the existing built elements (building and landscape), scale, massing, rhythm and character to establish a new design strategy. This strategy relies upon the interplay of materials and forms to reference and respond to the legacy buildings on the site.